Wednesday, April 9, 2014

“Crowning Moments”


“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” Walt Disney

“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” Harriet Tubman

 
My husband, Jeremy, places the crown on my head as Mrs. MN International 2013, Andrea Bennett-Xiong, helps to “crown” me as the new Mrs. MN International 2014

 

When I think back to my crowning moment, these two great quotes that come to mind. Hearing my name called as the new Mrs. Minnesota International 2014 was a dream come true! That moment is indescribable. I remember looking at the judges (who were not looking at me) and looking out to my family and friends in the audience. The moment my name was called, everything was going in slow motion. I saw my friends and family jump out of their seats and the room roared with cheers and applause. I was instantly overcome with emotion and excitement and all I could do was cover my face as I began to cry tears of determination, hard work, and joy. As I made my way over to Andrea Bennett-Xiong, Mrs. Minnesota International 2013, I was congratulated by her and my husband who helped to place the crown on my head! It is so wonderful that the International system makes the husbands feel just as important as the contestants and allowing the new “Mr. Minnesota” to “crown” his wife is a wonderful experience for both of them. Taking my first walk and waiving to the audience as Mrs. Minnesota International was beyond amazing. It was a moment I will never forget.

Immediately after they called my name the photos began. Paula Preston is an amazing photographer and as our pageant sponsor, she hurdled us all to the side and began taking more photos of us queens, our courts, and the queens with the judges. There are two photos that I am anxiously awaiting to get enlarged and hung on my wall. First being a photo of all the former Mrs. Minnesota’s that were at the pageant. I was immediately welcomed into a wonderful sisterhood and to see all of them there was such a great experience.

The second photo is a photo of my husband, daughter, and me. As soon as my daughter came on stage, I was immediately overcome with emotion and we were both so excited to see each other. She was so proud of me and her words and excitement just warmed my heart! I am so blessed to have such an amazing family.

After crowning there was a coronation honoring the new queens and the contestants. Friends and family were present at the coronation and it was really wonderful to see contestants presented with various awards for their hard work at the pageant and in their communities. Each new Minnesota queen was given time to speak about their experiences during the weekend, their platforms, and their plans for their reign. It was a great opportunity for me to speak a little more about my platform, Stop the Shots, and how I plan to use this title to continue to raise awareness for diabetes prevention and management, as well as continue to make a difference in the lives of others.

I have so many people to thank because it sure takes a village to make dreams come true! Thank you to my husband and daughter for sacrificing while I chased this dream! Thank you to my parents for always being so supportive and being the best parents in the world- raising me to be the caring and giving person that I am. Thank you to my wonderful grandparents, Jerry and Gloria Thompson, as this would not have been possible without you and your support. Thank you for taking Ava last minute some weekends which allowed me to go to the gym, meet with my pageant coach, or go shopping for gowns. I do not know what I would do without the two of you.

Cheri Kennedy, Krista Wanous coined it perfectly when she said “Cheri Kennedy is like a fairy Godmother, she waives her magic wand and makes dream come true!” Cheri, you are amazing and I am so grateful for not only your coaching but your words of advice and your friendship. Sarah Moses, thank you for your amazing talents and wardrobe! Donnell Rank, you are the best kept secret! I am so thankful I met you and God put you and Cheri in my path! James Peterson and Penny Wells, you guys are the best duo and made me feel beautiful on the inside and outside! Thanks for the laughs! Adam Spiker, I am so thankful that you helped me be the fittest me I could be! Krista Wanous, I am so blessed God put you in my path, but more importantly, God made us sisters and friends! You were always there for me giving me advice, clothing, and most importantly, teaching me what true sisterhood and mentors are all about! Stephanie Thorson-Olesen and Karry Thorson, you are my biggest supporters and introduced me to this pageant system! Thank you for all of the advice and pointing me in the right direction. Mary Swenson, you are fantastic and my pageant bestie! Charity Bess, Sarah Wall Beckman, Dennis Jensen, Megan Muehlberg, Krista Wanous, Donnell Rank, and my other mock judges that I may have missed- I could not have done this without all of you. All of you gave me fantastic advice before, during, and after mock interviews. Words of encouragement, words of critique, and always telling me I was wonderful, helped me more than you know. I grew by leaps and bounds in the two short months that I worked with all of you and I am so grateful for all you have done for me.  Mindy and Terry Rick, thank you for not only giving me my start but being the best second mom and sister a girl could ever have! Love you both!
Thank you to those that supported me in my endeavors and to those that came to support me during the pageant! I am so thankful and blessed!

My crowning moment was a moment that I will never forget. I am proof that if you dream a dream and work hard to catch it, anything is possible! I am so very blessed to have been crowned the 2014 Mrs. Minnesota International and I am beyond thrilled to spend the year with my new sister queens, Lainey, Rachel, and Gabby!  

 
 New Minnesota International queens at the coronation

 Together, we can Stop the Shots!

 Yours truly,

 
Kimberly Stommes

Mrs. Minnesota International 2014

1 comment:

  1. ♥ ♥ ♥ I love you so much! I am so proud of you and all your accomplishments! Your are beautiful both inside and out~ MN International and the State of MN is so lucky to have you represent them! You are amazing! ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete